Jekyll Academic Workshop
This workshop is designed to be flexible, allowing for it to be taught in a variety of lengths based on how much time is available. Each of the workshop sections is designed to take roughly 30 minutes to complete. They increase in technical difficulty as they progress. The first section is taught entirely in a web browser, so no additional installation of software is required. Section two of the workshop requires the installation of Github Desktop as well as a text editor. Section three of the workshop is more of an in-depth discussion of additional ways to take advantage of advanced features in Jekyll, Github and with the Jekyll Academic theme.
Putting on a Workshop
We have published a set of workshop materials that you are free to use, should you choose to teach this workshop. They are available via Google Drive. The materials include a Google Presentation and four activity documents. These documents are also embedded below.
- Intro and Overview: 10 Minutes
- Markdown Activity (web based): 5 Minutes
- GitHub First Steps: 10 Minutes
- Editing Your New Website in a Browser: 10 Minutes
- Break: 10 Minutes
- GitHub Desktop First Steps: 10 Minutes
- Editing Your New Website: 20 Minutes
- Advanced Features: 10 Minutes
- Questions: 5 Minutes